1. Be Nonjudgemental, by not expressing a judgment regarding their Lovestyle even though you may not approve, it is OK to voice your
disapproval. State it in a Nonjudgemental way that brings greater
closeness rather than isolation. Be objective without passing
personal prejudices, biases, values, beliefs or judgement on your
friend or family members choice of relationship. Instead educate
yourself about Polyamory, be open minded, compassionate and
tolerant of your friend or family members for the difficult decision
that they have made. Detach yourself from what you feel or believe
about nonmonogamous relationships and take care what you say
to your friend or family member because they will likely remember
your initial reaction which could potentially separate you if they
perceive that you are being negative about their relationships.
Keep in mind that this is a person whom you love and who loves
and trusts you.
2. Support them in their decision and choice of the Polyamory Lovestyle even though you may not approve. There is no time in your friend or relatives life when they need your support more than now. Not your approval but your support because this is not an easy decision that your friend or relative has made. Polyamory goes against the mainstream cultural tradition and dominance of monogamy. However, Polyamory has its own rewards such as:
3. Listen to your friend or family member even though you may not
approve of his or her choice.
4. Continue to love, accept and respect your friend or family member for the decision they have made for their life.
5. Ask about their partners (if any), be open and accepting of the significant others in their life. Because these are the people that your friend or relative loves and cares about.
6. Finally remember to be cautious not to be overly critical of your friend or family members choice because it will only put up a barrier between you and your friend or family member. Don't allow your disapproval to lead to alienation or estrangement, remember this is their life and choice not yours.